Monday, January 28, 2008

A bad experience...

I was working on my computer, and also listening to Hamza. I am not much of a talkative person, but I don’t think he minded that much. He was just talking and I was listening to him. I had a lot of work to do on the computer, but still I tried my best to be interactive with him.

Hamza is my relative. He lives in another city(town). But since two years or so, he has been working in Army. He is not that of a fighting soldier. He just works in a particular unit. The works usually change, sometimes they probably have to dig a hole, sometimes cook food, or guard a portion of the unit’s territory. It’s a tough job working in army, at such a lower designation. Because army is a much disciplined sector. They have everything properly set up at their units. And it’s all because of the working armies, the lower designations. They don’t usually get enough sleep. Even if they have done all of their tasks, and are having a rest. An emergency task can easily interrupt their sleep, and they must do that work. Sacrificing their precious sleep.

Hamza had just got his holidays, 20 days of holidays, which also included the Eid. He had come to stay one night with us, and then he was going to another city where he lives.

Earlier that day my mom had bring me a sweater. It was very cold those days, and mom very badly wanted me to wear, a sweater. But I didn’t like the sweater that she brought. It had too much bright color in it. And it was having a very high contrast. Which I really didn’t like, I wanted a color which was more of a soft and dull color. I told my mom that I can’t wear that; I will purchase a sweater on my own.

When Hamza came, he wasn’t wearing any sweater. He told me that he had forgotten his sweater back at the army quarter. When he got to know about my sweater. He said that he is going to purchase it from me. As I am already not going to use it, and he needs one very badly so my mom decided to give him the sweater. Hamza reached his pocket for getting the money but he immediately had a very shocked expression on his face. It looked as if he was missing something – most probably the money. He tried in the other pocket. But he didn’t find it there too. We on noticing him so tensed, asked him the reason. He said that he had 7000 rupees in his left pocket. But now all are missing.

Hamza had traveled in two busses from his army campus to reach our home. And obviously as the money was in the right pocket. So it was very easy for anyone to pick the money from his pocket. 7000 rupees, are not less than anything for such a poor person. He gets 4000 rupees for working a whole month. And worse, those 7000 rupees were advance money that he had request from them. That means he still has to work for those money. As it was during Eid time, so they gave him this much money in advance. Poor Hamza!! We all felt sorry for him. My mom was continuously cursing those, who had taken his money. And also advising Hamza to never keep that money in his right pocket. He should have kept his money in his bag. That was very much secure from the pocket pickers.


During this time, I was totally silent. And was feeling very sorry for Hamza. I was thinking that why people are becoming so cruel. We call ourselves Muslims. But still we are proved to be one of the worst nations. Praying to the God Five times and fasting in the month of Ramadan, we think that we are done with our Job. And after this we proudly badmouth others, hurt and kill others, disrespect those who are less in status from us. Betray each other. And at the same time don’t feel any kind of shame for this. Is this the right way of pleasing God, by not respecting and hurting his creations.

That person while taking Hamza’s money, didn’t feel any kind of pity? Hamza with simple cloths and a simple face, and a bag – which made it very clear that he is not someone from this city and is from a rural side of the country, he had come here for work and now he is going to his town for celebrating the Eid with his family. And money that he had, was supposed to be spent on his family for Eid Celebration. But no such kind of kind thought would have come in the mind of that person. Why should he be worried about that? He prays to the God five times and does fasting in the month of Ramazan. He has no other thing to worry about. Not even if someone is being harmed by him. He doesn’t have to think about it..!..!?

No comments: